California man sentenced to 20 years for fatal ‘swatting’ of Kansas man

California man sentenced to 20 years for fatal ‘swatting’ of Kansas man

Tyler Barriss, the 26-year-old California man responsible for the hoax 911 call that lead to the death of a Kansas man, was sentenced to 20 years in prison.

Now, according to Associated Press, U.S. District Judge Eric Melgren has sentenced Barriss to 20 years, under a deal where Barriss pleaded guilty to 51 federal charges for fake calls and bomb threats.

One of Barriss' calls led to the death of 28-year-old Andrew Finch, who was not playing video games. Finch had nothing to do with the game, but police were given his address because it was the former home of one of the gamers, according to the DOJ. He claimed he had accidentally shot his father in the head during an argument and was now pointing a handgun at his mother and brother at the address on McCormick Street, which now belonged to Finch.

Prosecutors say police responded to the home of 28-year-old Andrew Finch on December 28, 2017, after a caller falsely claimed to be inside with hostages and a gun - a style of prank known as "swatting". These risky hoaxes involve making false claims to emergency responders about phony hostage situations or bomb threats, with the intention of prompting a heavily-armed police response to the location of the claimed incident.

Following an online altercation over Call of Duty, a person was threatened to be swatted by Tyler Barriss. Police said an OH gamer recruited Barriss to "swat" - or report a false emergency call to get authorities to descend on an address. Viner provided Barriss with an address, believed to be Gaskill's.

"Swatting is no prank", U.S. Attorney Stephen McAllister said.

Barriss has a long history of calling SWAT teams and making bomb threats, though this was the first time anyone had died as a result of such a call. The officer involved in the fatal shooting wasn't criminally charged, though Finch's family has sued the city over the incident.

"I'm not very good at conveying feeling and emotions in spoken may not sound as honest as I want", said Barriss.

Finch's sister, Dominica Finch, says Barriss got what he deserved. Assuming 20 years, Barriss will have a release date no earlier than 2036. Barriss was given an address - where the second co-defendant once lived but was then Finch's residence. Prosecutors for the case did not file any charges on the officer.

Finch did not play video games, his family has said.

Barris said he regrets what he did every day and would take it back if he could.

Mr Viner intends to change that plea at an upcoming hearing while Mr Gaskill's trial has been delayed until April amid plea talks with prosecutors.

Related Articles