New Zealand bans assault weapons merely a week after Christchurch terror attacks

New Zealand bans assault weapons merely a week after Christchurch terror attacks

The prime minister of New Zealand announced that assault rifles, such as the ones used last Friday in the massacre at two mosques in Christchurch, will be banned from the country once approved by legislators.

Ardern said on Tuesday in New Zealand's parliament that she would never refer to the perpetrator of the attacks by name.

This is a developing story.

A father and son who fled the civil war in Syria for "the safest country in the world" were buried before hundreds of mourners Wednesday, the first two funerals for victims of shootings at two mosques in New Zealand that horrified a nation known for being welcoming and diverse.

NZ Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern refuses to speak the name the Australian charged over the attack, 28-year-old Brenton Tarrant from New South Wales.

Families of those killed had been anxiously awaiting word on when they could bury their loved ones.

Islamic tradition calls for bodies to be cleansed and buried as soon as possible.

Ardern brushed aside suggestions of opposition to the ban.

"We will ban parts that cause a firearm to generate semi-automatic, automatic or close to automatic gunfire", she said.

However, Tipple said he did not feel responsible for the shootings.

New Zealanders have already begun answering government appeals to hand in their weapons, including Mr John Hart, a farmer in the North Island district of Masterton.

The AR-15 was used at Port Arthur and has been used in a number of high-profile U.S. mass shootings.

Anyone who keeps the guns after an amnesty period will face fines of up to $4,000 and three years' in jail.

"We can not simply sit back and accept that these platforms just exist and that what is said on them is not the responsibility of the place where they are published", Ardern said this week in a speech to New Zealand's Parliament.

"In recognition of that and to incentivize their return, we will be establishing a buyback scheme".

New Zealand police and tradesmen are working intensively in the hope of readying the Al Noor mosque to hold Friday prayers, just a week after it was the centre of a racist shooting which left 50 dead.

Before today's press conference, Ardern met with police officers who were first on the scene at Masjid Al Noor and had to secure the mosque as well as give first aid to the critically injured.

"There are a range of other amendments that we believe do need to be made and that will be the second tranche of reforms, yet to come".

"The semi-automatics, why would you keep that inside your house, it's not right".

Ms. Ardern said the immediate ban, which takes effect Thursday afternoon, covers more than military-style rifles but other items used in last week's mosque attack.

Related Articles