Man seen with backpacker to be charged with murder

Man seen with backpacker to be charged with murder

New Zealand police said Sunday they found a body they believe to be that of missing 22-year-old British tourist Grace Millane.

Police said they detained a 26-year-old man seen with her on the night of her disappearance, and will charge her with Millane's murder Monday.

Detective Inspector Scott Beard told reporters near the crime scene in the Waitakare Ranges that police believe Millane's body was taken to the area in a rental vehicle that was later left in the town of Taupo.

Police have said the examination is a "methodical and slow process and is expected to take all day".

"The evidence we have located so far, our scene examination, from the CCTV footage we have and our investigation has determined that Grace is no longer alive and this is a murder investigation".

She had arrived in New Zealand on 20 November, following six weeks in South America.

Police have appealed for sightings of the auto in the west Auckland area between 6.30am and 9.30am on Monday.

A 26-year-old man is due to be charged with murder and will appear at Auckland District Court on Monday. "It is an unbearable time for the Millane family and our hearts go out to them".

Millane's father David Millane traveled from Britain to New Zealand last week.

The red Toyota Corolla hatchback was hired from a central Auckland rental firm just before lunchtime on December 2, the day after Ms Millane was last seen alive.

The graduate was last seen with a "male companion" at a hotel in Auckland at 9:41pm on Saturday 1 December.

Her father, David Millane, arrived in NZ on Friday, and made an emotional public appeal for help in finding Grace, who he described as a "lovely, outgoing, fun-loving, family-orientated daughter".

She was staying at the Base Backpackers hostel in central Auckland before she went missing.

Her family was surprised and anxious when she didn't contact them on her birthday or get in touch over on the days that followed.

The 22-year-old, from Essex in the United Kingdom, went missing on December 1 in the New Zealand city the day before her birthday.

Related Articles